Last Updated on May 24, 2022 by laurenpacek
This post may contain affiliate links. A Nerd Cooks may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. More information can be found here.
This Vanilla Syrup is sweet, super easy to make, and can be used to sweeten and flavor just about any beverage!
Table of contents
What is vanilla simple syrup?
For starters, simple syrup is a syrup that's made up of water and sugar. The two ingredients get combined over heat until the sugar dissolves entirely into the water, resulting in a sweet syrup that can be used to flavor and sweeten drinks, keep layer cakes moist, and even be used as hummingbird food!
Vanilla simple syrup is simple syrup that has been flavored with vanilla extract!
You only need three simple ingredients in order to make vanilla simple syrup.
- Water: Just plain old water will do.
- Sugar: I used white granulated sugar to make this, as I do with the majority of my simple syrup recipes. You could, however, use brown sugar or demerara sugar, if you wanted. Bear in mind that using a different kind of sugar will change the appearance and flavor of the final product.
- Vanilla extract: I used store bought vanilla extract, as that's all that I had on hand. But if you have the time and inclination, I recommend making your own homemade vanilla extract.
How do you make it?
You'll start out by making a plain, unflavored simple syrup. To do this, you'll combine water and sugar in a saucepan, and bring it to a boil. It's simple, really.
After bringing it to a boil, you'll turn the heat off before adding the vanilla extract. That's basically it!
Just allow the syrup to cool completely before storing it in the fridge.
How should you use vanilla syrup?
You can use this vanilla syrup in a variety of ways.
For me, the most obvious way is to sweeten drinks. Personally, I've been using this syrup to sweeten cold coffee drinks. Take these Iced Lattes, for example. Simple syrup is a great option for sweetening cold coffee (or any cold drink, for that matter) because it will combine readily with the drink. Unlike regular sugar, which will have a hard time dissolving in cold liquid, resulting in a gritty drink.
You can also brush this syrup onto the layers of a cake (before frosting, naturally). This not only imparts some additional flavor, but also helps to keep your cakes super moist!
- Heavy-bottomed saucepan
- A jigger, for measuring your vanilla
- Wet and dry measuring cups
- Swing top bottles, for storing the syrup
Other syrup recipes
- Cherry Simple Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Strawberry Simple Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Rosé Wine Simple Syrup from Jaylynn Little
- Demerara Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Raspberry Simple Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Rosemary Simple Syrup from Feast and West
- Blueberry Simple Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Red Wine Syrup from Beautiful Booze
FAQs/Tips and tricks
Yes, it will eventually go bad. It should last approximately a week or two in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
It should last approximately a week or two if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can prolong its shelf life a bit by adding about half an ounce of vodka to the syrup.
Yes, it needs to be refrigerated. Make sure to store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Share your creations and follow me on social media
Subscribe to the A Nerd Cooks Newsletter to have updates sent straight to your inbox.
I love seeing when you share my recipes! Please tag me on Instagram @anerdcooks so I can enjoy them virtually with you! You can also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and
⭐️ star rating below!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add the water and sugar to a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to combine.
- Whisking occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil. The sugar should be completely dissolved into the water at this point.
- Turn off the heat and add the vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Allow the simple syrup to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g