This English Muffin Breakfast Casserole is packed full of delicious cheese and bacon, fluffy eggs, and English muffins that end up being both soft and crispy. What ingredients go into this breakfast casserole? Let's talk about it! Check out the picture and list below. English muffins: Just some regular old English muffins from the store....
This English Muffin Breakfast Casserole is packed full of delicious cheese and bacon, fluffy eggs, and English muffins that end up being both soft and crispy.
What ingredients go into this breakfast casserole?
Let's talk about it! Check out the picture and list below.
- English muffins: Just some regular old English muffins from the store. Nothing too terribly fancy
- Eggs: Gotta have eggs in a breakfast casserole!
- Cheese: I went with sharp cheddar (freshly grated). But you do you. Do you like gruyere? Maybe gouda is more your thing? Feel free to use those!
- Liquid dairy: I used a combination of half and half as well as heavy cream - equal parts of each. But if you want to use all heavy cream (or half and half), do that. You could also use a combo of milk and cream, milk and half and half, all milk, etc. Feel me? I haven't tried making this with non-dairy milks, however.
- Butter: I like to use unsalted butter.
- Bacon: Salty, crispy bacon, cooked and chopped into pieces. You could also sub Canadian bacon or sausage, if desired. Or omit the meat altogether.
- Chives: For garnish (not pictured because I forgot).
- Spices: Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Also not pictured because I had a brain fart when taking the picture. <shrug>
How does this recipe come together?
Start by cutting or tearing the English muffins into pieces. I used a serrated bread knife to do this. The pieces don't have to be exactly the same size, but aim for something close to bite-sized. Dump them into your prepared baking dish.
I then took this opportunity to mix about half of the grated cheese and all of the chopped cooked bacon throughout the English muffin pieces. This helps to ensure that the good stuff will be evenly distributed throughout the casserole.
Next, you'll want to combine the eggs, dairy, and spices. I like to whisk these together in a very large Pyrex measuring cup. But a bowl will do the trick, too. Just make sure to whisk everything until it's basically a homogenous mixture. A few streaks of distinct yolks or whites are fine, but try to whisk it very well.
Pour the egg mixture all over the English muffins, cheese, and bacon in the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over everything. Now all that's left is to bake the breakfast casserole and give it a little garnish once it comes out of the oven.
Looking for other breakfast/brunch recipes?
Because I got 'em!
My Crab Cakes Eggs Florentine (with Hollandaise Sauce that's made using sous vide!) is crazy good, if I do say so myself. Make it for guests or for yourself when you're feeling a little fancy. Baked Garlic Cheese Grits are decadent and easy to throw together, too!
Make-Ahead Cinnamon Rolls are *chef's kiss* the perfect way to kick of a lazy weekend or holiday morning. Pumpkin Banana Bread is another delicious baked good option for breakfast, brunch, or a snack!
If you're looking for something on the healthier side, my Instant Pot Oatmeal (made with steel cut oats) is just the thing you need.
Perhaps you need a cocktail to go with your brunch?
Please do not overlook these amazing Rossini Cocktails (sometimes called Strawberry Bellinis)! They are as delicious as they are pretty.
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 10 English muffins
- 10 strips of bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 18 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced (for garnish)
- hot sauce, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cut or tear the English muffins into bite-sized pieces and scatter them in an even layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Mix the half of the shredded cheddar and all of the chopped bacon throughout the English muffin pieces.
- Whisk the eggs, half and half, heavy cream, and spices together. Pour egg mixture over the English muffins pieces/cheese/bacon.
- Scatter the cubes of butter over the top of the casserole and top everything with the remaining grated cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and top with the minced chives.
- Add some hot sauce (optional, but definitely recommended) to your portion before eating.
- The casserole is done when the top is golden brown and the middle is only just slightly jiggly.
- This dish reheats well, if you have leftovers. Just pop it in the microwave for a bit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 658Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 446mgSodium: 1116mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g
What equipment will I need to have on hand?
- A 9x13-inch baking dish (I prefer Pyrex).
- A whisk
- When cutting the English muffins, a serrated bread knife is helpful
Pin this recipe for later!
Risotto Cacio e Pepe tastes just like the classic pasta dish, but with risotto rice instead of the pasta. It's creamy, peppery, and entirely delicious. Close your eyes, take a bite, and you'll swear ...
The Rossini Cocktail, otherwise known as a Strawberry Bellini, is sweet, fizzy, and delicious. Trust me: It's going to be your new favorite brunch cocktail! What's the difference between a ...
This Red Wine Hot Chocolate is sweet, just a touch boozy, and oh so decadent. Make a mug just for yourself or enjoy it with a loved one! What ingredients go into this recipe? Just a handful of ...
These Poinsettia Cocktails are as tasty as they are beautiful. You're only three ingredients away from having one ready to go! What's in a name? Would a cocktail by any other name taste as ...
Cranberry Margaritas are beautiful and festive, sweet-tart, and delicious. They require only a handful of ingredients, and come together in a snap! What ingredients go into this drink? ...
This Pumpkin Banana Bread is moist, sweet, and warmly spiced. It comes together quickly and easily. Best yet? It makes TWO loaves! What ingredients go into this recipe? Let's talk it through! ...