Last Updated on November 23, 2022 by laurenpacek
This post may contain affiliate links. A Nerd Cooks may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. More information can be found here.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate is a creamy, dreamy, treat for kids and adults alike. It's so easy to make at home in your own kitchen, too!
This hot chocolate tastes like Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate. So you can save yourself some time and money by skipping a trip to Starbucks and making this hot chocolate in your own kitchen.
It's a perfect treat for a Winter day. Maybe after playing in the snow? You can easily scale this recipe up, too, so it's great for one or two people or for a crowd.
Table of contents
What is Peppermint Hot Chocolate?
Peppermint Hot Chocolate is regular hot chocolate that has been sweetened and flavored with peppermint. This can be achieved via a peppermint syrup or peppermint extract. You could even use peppermint-flavored candies (like candy canes or peppermint chocolates) to flavor the hot chocolate.
You don't actually need very many ingredients to make yourself some peppermint hot chocolate. Of course, you can go crazy with the garnishes, but it's not required. Let's talk about the ingredients shown in the photo, below.
- Milk: You can use whatever milk that you prefer, but I will say that something with a little higher fat content will work better. Stick to whole or 2% cow's milk, or full fat oat milk, or something of that nature.
- Salt: I know that salt may sound like a strange ingredient in a sweet drink, but please don't skip it. You only need a tiny pinch of salt, but it will make a difference. The salt just makes all of the ingredients taste more like themselves, if that makes sense.
- Chocolate: You can use whatever kind of chocolate you prefer for this recipe. I recommend using semi-sweet chocolate, as it won't make the drink overly sweet. You could also go with dark chocolate if you prefer a slightly less sweet drink. Regardless of what chocolate you opt to use, I'd recommend using a high-quality bar of chocolate or chocolate chips (Ghirardelli, etc.).
- Peppermint syrup: This hot chocolate is sweetened and flavored with Peppermint Syrup. You can use a store bought variety, or you can make your own at home. It's so easy that I highly recommend making it at home!
- Garnishes: As always garnishes are optional, but pretty and fun. You can garnish your peppermint hot chocolate with anything that your little heart desires. I'm partial to whipped cream, crushed candy canes, chocolate shavings, and/or marshmallows.
How to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Start by adding the milk, salt, and chocolate (or chocolate chips) to a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat.
You'll want to whisk this mixture pretty frequently. Slowly, the chocolate will melt. Once everything has melted nicely, and the hot chocolate has reached the desired temperature, you'll want to add the peppermint syrup and give it another stir.
Next, ladle the hot chocolate into mugs and garnish them however you like!
As you can see in the other photos, I opted for whipped cream, crushed candy canes, and some chocolate shavings. Other fine additions could include marshmallows, homemade whipped cream (instead of the canned stuff that I used), other chocolates, etc.
Other warm Winter drinks
You can't have enough warm, comforting Winter drinks, right? Right. Check out the links below, which include some from my blog, and others from other fantastic food bloggers. I bet you'll find a new favorite!
- Mulled Pumpkin Cider from Sweet Tea and Thyme
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate from A Nerd Cooks (this one, obviously, contains alcohol!)
- Instant Pot Apple Cider from The Endless Meal
- Dirty Chai Latte from A Nerd Cooks
- Glühwein from Live Eat Learn
FAQs/Tips and tricks
Yes! Just scale the ingredients up proportionally.
Nope. You can use a store bought syrup, if you so choose.
In short: use whatever you like! I made this using 2% cow's milk, and it turned out really nicely. You can also use a non-dairy milk, or even add some heavy cream to the mix, if you want to make a really decadent mug of hot chocolate.
Yes! It will! Save yourself some time and money and skip a Starbucks trip in favor of making this hot chocolate in your own kitchen.
Share your creations and follow me on social media
Subscribe to the A Nerd Cooks Newsletter to have updates sent straight to your inbox.
I love seeing when you share my recipes! Please tag me on Instagram @anerdcooks so I can enjoy them virtually with you! You can also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and
⭐️ star rating below!
- 3 cups milk of choice
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1.5 tablespoons Peppermint Syrup
- whipped cream, crushed candy canes, chocolate shavings, marshmallows, for garnish (optional)
- Add the milk, chocolate chips, and salt to a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk frequently until the chocolate chips melt completely.
- Add the peppermint syrup and give everything another whisk.
- Divide the hot chocolate between two mugs.
- Top with any desired garnishes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 778Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 115gFiber: 5gSugar: 92gProtein: 16g