Last Updated on June 6, 2021 by laurenpacek
This dish is hearty, comforting, and delicious
This Mushroom Risotto is delicious, full of rich and savory flavors, and a perfect cold weather meal. It's also an excellent option for Meatless Monday!
Need something delicious for dinner?
Look no further. This risotto is creamy and cheesy, savory, and full of delicious Garlic & Thyme Roasted Mushrooms.
It's an excellent choice no matter what day of the week it is, but it's an especially good choice for Meatless Monday! The "meaty" mushrooms and savory flavors of the mushroom powder ought to please pretty much anyone, including carnivores.
What's the deal with the mushroom powder?
And no, this is not an ad or sponsored content. I just really like it. But, Trader Joe's, if you're out there. Hit me up. It would be a dream to work with you.
Anyway, this spice mix has kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper, mushroom powder, and mustard seed. It really brings out a deep, savory umami flavor in dishes. It's especially good in things like beef stew. I've been using it in a recipe for beef tips and it's 10/10. And, of course, it's fabulous in this risotto!
If you have a TJ's near you, definitely pick some up. You can also buy it on Amazon (scroll down below the recipe for a link).
How does this all come together?
You'll start out by making a slightly scaled down version of my Garlic & Thyme Roasted Mushrooms that I've shared with you before. They're so so good. They're good on their own as a side, in a salad, and perfect in this risotto.
While those are roasting up, you'll get started on a pretty standard risotto. However, there is one small difference. Once the garlic and onions soften up in the butter and oil, you'll add dried thyme and some of the mushroom powder before proceeding.
You'll toast the Arborio rice up in the butter and oil before adding a little warm broth and stirring and stirring and stirring. Once the it is soaked up, you'll add more broth, stir stir stir, and repeat until the rice is just past al dente.
From there, you'll add the cheese and mushrooms, then garnish with chives. And you're done!
Looking for more risotto recipes?
You know that I have your back. Most of my risotto recipes are vegetarian or can be easily made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken. I just usually have chicken broth in my pantry, which is why I tend to use it more often.
Looking for something a little more meaty? I also have a great Beer, Cheddar, and Sausage Risotto recipe for you.
For the Roasted Mushrooms
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
For the Mushroom Risotto
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp Trader Joe's Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend
- 1.5 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- roasted mushrooms, from above
- minced chives, for garnish (if desired)
To make the Roasted Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried thyme. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 20 minutes, tossing around halfway through.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic, salt, and pepper over the partially roasted mushrooms. Toss to combine.
- Roast for 10 additional minutes.
To make the Mushroom Risotto
- Heat the 5 cups of broth in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Bring it to a simmer and then turn it to low.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and butter until the butter melts. Add the garlic and onions. Sauté until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add the dried thyme and Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the Arborio rice and stir so that every grain gets coated in the olive oil and butter. Allow the rice to toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat off under the broth, and add a couple of ladles to the rice. Stir occasionally until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this process until the risotto is creamy and the rice is no longer al dente.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, stirring until it has been incorporated. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the roasted mushrooms and stir to distribute them throughout the risotto.
- Top the risotto with minced chives, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 1638mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g
What do I need to have on hand in order to make this?
- Trader Joe's Mushroom and Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend
- Baking sheets, for roasting the mushrooms