Last Updated on March 17, 2022 by laurenpacek
This post may contain affiliate links. A Nerd Cooks may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. More information can be found here.
Ocean Water is a Sonic copycat recipe. It's sweet and refreshing, and perfect for a hot summer day or a party! It's kid-friendly, but I am positive that the entire family will enjoy it.
This drink is so much fun to drink and SO easy to make. It only requires 5 ingredients, and that's including a super fun and tasty garnish. Just a handful of ingredients and a bit of pouring and mixing stand between you and a really pretty and refreshing non-alcoholic drink.
Table of contents
What is Ocean Water at Sonic?
Ocean Water is a really tasty beverage that's sold at Sonic fast food restaurants. It's sweet and refreshing, and because it's non-alcoholic, it's appropriate and fun for the whole family.
We'll get into the individual ingredients in the section below, but Ocean Water is fizzy, blue like the ocean, and tastes just like the beach!
- Simple syrup: Homemade or store bought is fine here. But really, it's just granulated sugar and water, so I recommend making your own.
- Coconut extract: You should be able to find coconut extract in the same section of the grocery store where you'd get vanilla or almond extracts (probably the baking aisle). If all else fails, you can always turn to Amazon. This is the ingredient that makes this drink taste like a day at the beach!
- Blue food coloring: I'm not usually a huge fan of using food coloring, BUT this recipe only uses a little bit, and turns the drink a fun blue color (just like the ocean!).
- Lemon lime soda: Sprite or 7-Up works really well here. I tend to opt for Sprite. Go off-brand, too, if that's your jam. It's all good.
- Swedish fish candies: This is optional, but I think that Swedish fish make a really fun garnish for this drink.
How do you make Ocean Water?
This one is really easy to make!
Start by combining your simple syrup, coconut extract, and food coloring. Mix until everything is well combined and set it aside for a second.
Pour your lemon lime soda over ice...
Then add some of the blue simple syrup.
Garnish with a few Swedish fish if you're feeling cheeky (you are), and that's it!
- A jigger - I'm using this one in the picture where I'm pouring the blue syrup into the glass. It's a relatively new addition to my bar, but I really like it.
- Swedish fish candies
- Reusable straws, if that's your thing
Variations on this recipe
Ocean Water is designed to be a kiddo-friendly drink. Of course, kids and adults alike enjoy it. It's delicious. However, if the big kids want to put their own spin on this drink, I have some thoughts...
In lieu of (or in addition to) the blue food coloring, you could add some blue curaçao! You'd get more of an orange flavor, but that doesn't strike me as a bad thing, especially since the base of this drink is a lemon lime soda.
Coconut rum also strikes me as a really excellent addition to this drink. Use it in addition to or instead of the coconut extract.
Other kid- and family-friendly drinks
Looking for other non-alcoholic sips? Check out these from A Nerd Cooks and other fabulous bloggers!
- Blueberry Lemonade from A Nerd Cooks
- Piña Colada Mocktail from Mitten Girl
- Roy Rogers Drink from A Nerd Cooks
- Virgin Mojito Mocktail from A Couple Cooks
- Cookies and Cream Milkshake from A Nerd Cooks
- Virgin Margaritas from A Nerd Cooks
- Italian Sodas from A Nerd Cooks
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! In fact, I recommend it! This recipe makes 2 servings, so depending on how many servings you want to make, multiply the ingredients accordingly. This would be GREAT in a big pitcher for a party or a day at the beach.
Sure can! I talk about it a little bit above, but in short, rum would be a tasty addition to this drink (adults only, obvi).
You can store leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days, but keep in mind that the carbonation from the lemon lime soda will diminish over time. This drink really is best consumed right after mixing all of the ingredients together.
Share your creations and follow me on social media!
Subscribe to the A Nerd Cooks Newsletter to have updates sent straight to your inbox.
I love seeing when you share my recipes! Please tag me on Instagram @anerdcooks so I can enjoy them virtually with you! You can also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and
⭐️ star rating below!
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 drops blue food coloring
- 24 ounces lemon lime soda, such as Sprite
- Swedish fish candies, for garnish
- Combine the simple syrup, coconut extract, and food coloring and set aside for a moment.
- Divide the lemon lime soda evenly between two glasses with ice.
- Divide the blue simple syrup evenly between the two prepared glasses.
- Garnish with Swedish fish candies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 0gSugar: 84gProtein: 0g