Last Updated on May 18, 2021 by laurenpacek
Broiled grapefruit is a tasty, healthy way to spice up your brunch or breakfast routine.
I don't know about you, but when I hear "grapefruit" the only thing I can think of is Aziz Ansari's bit about how 50 Cent doesn't know what a grapefruit is. Haven't seen it? Here it is. Even better: 50 Cent insists that he knows what a grapefruit is, despite Ansari's claims.
Ridicule of 50 Cent aside, these broiled grapefruits are an easy, healthy way to dress up a breakfast/brunch staple. The brown sugar and whipped cream offset the natural tartness of the grapefruit, and the cinnamon really works with and complements the citrus flavor.
- 1 grapefruit, halved
- 4 tsp brown sugar, divided
- cinnamon, for dusting
- whipped cream, optional
- Preheat the broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Use a paring knife to cut around the outside of the grapefruit and to separate the segments. Sprinkle each half of the grapefruit with 2 tsp of brown sugar. Dust each half with a bit of cinnamon.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the brown sugar is bubbly and is beginning to caramelize. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn.
- Let it cool for a minute or two before topping with whipped cream and a little more cinnamon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g