A Salty Dog Drink is simple to make, bright and fresh, and versatile. Make it with vodka or gin, whatever floats your boat. I used vodka. These cocktails are super refreshing, full of bright flavor, and so simple to put together.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's easy to make. Can you pour a few ingredients into a glass? Sure you can.
It tastes great. Citrusy, bright, refreshing.
It's versatile. This drink can be made with vodka OR gin, depending on your preference.
💭 What is a Salty Dog Drink?
Grapefruit juice + vodka or gin = a Greyhound
Grapefruit juice + vodka or gin + a salted rim = a Salty Dog
Get it? Cute, right?
- Salt: You gotta have salt to make a Salty Dog. Go with kosher salt, or something that's similarly chunky.
- Liquor: This drink can be made with vodka or gin. Use your favorite.
- Grapefruit juice: Freshly squeezed, please!
👩🏻🍳 How to make a Salty Dog Cocktail
It almost couldn't be easier to make one of these drinks. First, you'll start out by rimming your glass with salt. You can use water or a bit of grapefruit juice to moisten the rim of the glass first before running it through some chunky salt.
After that, carefully add your ice to the glass. You don't want to dislodge the salt rim. Next, add the vodka or gin, then top everything off with freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice!
Last, you can further garnish your glass with a slice of fresh grapefruit.
🔗 More drinks made with vodka
Need more vodka drinks? Click any of the photos below to go straight to the recipes.
🔗 More drinks made with gin
Since this drink can also be made with gin, I figure it's only fair to show you some more gin cocktails, too.
A Greyhound cocktail is made with vodka/gin and grapefruit juice, while a Salty Dog takes those ingredients and adds a salt rim. Get it?
Use either! That's one of the beautiful things about this drink. You can use either liquor depending on what you prefer.
It's usually made individually in the glass, but I don't see why not! You could whip up a whole pitcher of these guys if you wanted.
🖤 Share your creations and follow me on social media!
Salty Dog Drink
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 ounces vodka or gin
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- grapefruit wedge for garnish
- Rim a rocks glass with kosher salt.
- Carefully fill the glass with ice.
- Add the vodka or gin and top with grapefruit juice.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
- You can use vodka or gin, according to your preference.
- Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice is the best option here.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.