This Blood Orange Bourbon Sour recipe is a fun, fruity twist on a classic bourbon or whiskey sour. Give it a try, especially when blood oranges are in season!
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's delicious. This drink tastes great, plain and simple.
The drink is beautiful. Just look at that color!
It makes the most of Winter citrus. This drink uses fresh blood orange juice.
💭 What is a Blood Orange Bourbon Sour?
This drink is a riff on the classic Whiskey Sour. Sours always contain a citrus (the sour), a sweetener, and a spirit.
In this case, we're using blood orange juice, simple syrup, and bourbon.
Put 'em all together and you get a Blood Orange Bourbon Sour. 🤌
- Juices: Freshly squeezed blood orange and lemon or lime juice, please!
- Simple syrup: This recipe calls for plain simple syrup. You can buy it at the store, but it's so easy to make at home!
- Bitters: Use Angostura bitters or orange bitters here.
- Bourbon: Use your favorite!
👩🏻🍳 How to make a Blood Orange Bourbon Sour
It's really quite easy!
Add all of the ingredients to a mixing glass or cocktail shaker with ice. Ideally, use one large cube, rather than a bunch of small ones. This will allow you to chill the drink without diluting it too much.
Using a bar spoon, stir the ingredients and ice until the drink is nice and cold.
Strain it into a glass with ice and garnish with some fresh blood orange, if you're into that.
🔗 Other bourbon cocktails
Looking for more cocktails made with bourbon? Click on any of the photos below to be taken straight to the recipes!
In short, use your favorite!
Yep! It just might affect the flavor, and will definitely affect the color of the final drink.
Not a bourbon fan? You can use another kind of whiskey if you prefer.
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and ⭐️ star rating below!
Blood Orange Bourbon Sour
- 1 ½ oz bourbon
- 1 oz fresh blood orange juice
- ½ oz fresh lemon or lime juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- blood orange slices for garnish
- Combine all ingredients, minus the orange slice, in a cocktail shaker with ice. Stir until cold.
- Strain into a glass with ice. Garnish with a blood orange slice.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.