Last Updated on April 28, 2021 by laurenpacek
Celebrate the Belmont Stakes in a delicious way!
The Belmont Jewel Cocktail is the official drink of the Belmont Stakes, the third leg of the famous Triple Crown.
Ingredients you'll need
This drink only requires 3 ingredients. Well, 4 if you include the garnish:
- Bourbon: When making mixed drinks, I like to reach for something middle of the road. Something good, but not super expensive. Bulleit is a standby in my house.
- Lemonade: Sweet and tart. Use store bought or make some homemade!
- Pomegranate juice: Do yourself a favor and buy the bottled stuff.
- Lemon wedge: A pretty garnish!
What is a Belmont Jewel like?
This drink is both sweet and a bit tart. You can thank lemonade and pomegranate juice for that flavor combination. The bourbon is sweet, too, and the whole thing is very refreshing.
Though it's very easy to shake up a few individual drinks, you could also easily scale the recipe up to make a batch cocktail. This would be perfect for entertaining.
Oh, and did I mention that it gets its name from its beautiful jewel-like appearance? I mean, take a look at the photo below and how the the light shines through this cocktail.
So, if the Belmont Stakes has the Belmont Jewel... what drinks do the other races have?
Glad you asked. You're probably familiar with the Mint Julep: It's the bourbon-forward cocktail associated with the Kentucky Derby. You can switch things up a bit and have a Derby Cup (bourbon + Pimm's), too!
And then, of course, there's the Preakness Stakes, which has the Black Eyed Susan. It's sweet, fruity, and deceptively boozy.
Is this drink *just* for the Belmont Stakes?
In short: heck no! This would be great for sipping all year 'round. But I think that the ingredients (oh hay, lemonade) make this drink feel particularly summery.
Interested in other pomegranate juice-based cocktails?
- 1.5 oz bourbon
- 2 oz lemonade
- 1 oz pomegranate juice
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- Combine the bourbon, lemonade, and pomegranate juice in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake until very cold and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g