A Black Magic Margarita is the perfect spooky addition to your Halloween celebration. Activated charcoal gives this drink it's dark color.
In need of even more spooky drinks for Halloween? Try my Frog's Breath, Black Magic Margaritas, Purple People Eater, and Vampire's Kiss cocktails! My Incredible Hulk Drink is another spooky green option for your Halloween bar menu! Want to make more black cocktails? Make one with my homemade Black Vodka!
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
It tastes great. Though it looks different, it tastes just like a classic margarita!
It's very easy to make. If you can shake up a few ingredients, you can make this drink.
It's perfect for Halloween. The spooky black color makes this the perfect Halloween cocktail.
💭 What is a Black Magic Margarita?
A Black Magic Margarita is a super spooky black margarita that's perfect for your Halloween celebration. It's a classic margarita with a black salt rim and a little added activated charcoal to give it that black color.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed, please.
- Orange liqueur: Use whatever you prefer. I used inexpensive triple sec.
- Tequila: Again, use your favorite here.
- Activated charcoal: Use a food-safe activated charcoal. I found mine on Amazon.
- Black salt: A black salt rim isn't mandatory, but it sure looks good along with the black margarita!
🔀 Substitutions and Variations
- Use food coloring instead of charcoal. If you don't want to use activated charcoal, you can use food coloring. Just add 2 drops of red, 2 drops of blue, and 2 drops of green to your cocktail shaker before shaking and straining.
👩🏻🍳 Step By Step Instructions
You can use food coloring. Just add 2 drops of red, 2 drops of blue, and 2 drops of green to your cocktail shaker before shaking and straining.
Sure! Just double the ingredient amounts, shake, and strain into two glasses.
While the spooky black color makes them perfect for Halloween, you could totally enjoy one any time of the year.
WebMD tells me that: Charcoal is made from peat, coal, wood, coconut shell, or petroleum. Activated charcoal is made by heating charcoal in the presence of a gas. This process causes the charcoal to develop lots of internal spaces or pores. These pores help activated charcoal trap chemicals. Activated charcoal can be used to treat poisonings, but it can also add a spooky element to your cocktails!
🔗 More Halloween drink recipes
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and ⭐️ star rating below!
Black Magic Margarita
- 1 teaspoon black lava sea salt
- .75 ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- ¼ teaspoon activated charcoal
- lime wheel for garnish
- You can use 2 drops each of red, blue, and green food coloring instead of activated charcoal.
- Difford's Guide says that it is important to take any medications, vitamins, or supplements at least four hours before consuming an activated charcoal cocktail. Activated charcoal can even cause constipation, so be aware that your body might respond differently to an activated charcoal cocktail as opposed to your typical drinks.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.