Summer weather requires summer cocktails
The Strawberry Cucumber Vodka Gimlet is *chef’s kiss* a near-perfect Summer cocktail, if I do say so myself. The cucumber vodka is crisp and cool while the strawberry simple syrup lends sweetness and beautiful color.
It’s been quite a while since I’ve shared any recipes
And for good reason! I talked about it on Instagram recently but… I had a baby! We welcomed a little boy into our family last month.
Between getting hit pretty hard with morning sickness last fall/winter, being just wiped out due to general pregnancy-related things, and then actually having the baby, it’s been difficult to find the time and energy to blog. Now that I’m home on maternity leave, it’s strangely a little easier to think about cooking and blogging. Not needing to focus on work at all probably helps.
Between COVID and the general state of the world, I found myself really missing being able to consume alcohol, particularly toward the end of my pregnancy. So it should come as no surprise that the first recipe I’m sharing with you post-pregnancy is for a cocktail.
This cocktail is full of summery flavors
I have a bottle of this Cucumber Vodka from Durham Distillery (buy it online here!) in my pantry (though you can feel free to use whatever brand of cucumber vodka you prefer) and have been looking forward to using it in a really delicious cocktail this summer. I ended up pairing it with a sweet strawberry simple syrup, lime juice, and club soda.
Not only do the cucumber and strawberry flavors play very well together, but the strawberry simple syrup makes the cocktail a very pretty pink color. I’ve made this drink a couple of times this week and can tell you that it’s very refreshing and perfect for warm evenings. Or days. Or whenever. Just enjoy.
Looking for other Summery cocktails?
Want to get your booze, but don’t want to have to leave the house??
Story of my life. If you feel this way, too, you can get alcohol sent straight to your door via the company Drizly.
For the Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
For the cocktail
To make the Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Add the sugar, water, and strawberries to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain out the strawberries without pressing down on the berries (it will make the simple syrup cloudy) and allow it to cool.
- Store in the refrigerator.
To make the cocktail
- Add the vodka, simple syrup, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake until very cold and strain into a rocks glass with ice (or into a cocktail coupe).
- Top with club soda and garnish with fresh mint.
What should I have on hand in order to make this cocktail?
- A cocktail shaker
- A cocktail jigger, for measuring your ingredients
- Rocks glasses or cocktail coupes
Pin this recipe for later!