Last Updated on August 22, 2022 by laurenpacek
This post may contain affiliate links. A Nerd Cooks may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. More information can be found here.
This homemade Irish Cream Syrup is the perfect addition to your morning coffee. It's sweet and flavored with cocoa and vanilla and almond extracts.
Table of contents
What is Irish Cream Syrup?
Irish Cream Syrup is a flavored simple syrup that's flavored with vanilla and almond extracts, as well as cocoa.
Despite understandable mental associations with Irish cream liqueur, this Irish Cream syrup has zero alcohol in it.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this homemade Irish Cream Syrup. Let's talk about them below!
- Water: Plain old water will do here.
- Sugar: I used granulated sugar. You can use other sugars, if you choose, but keep in mind that using a different sugar will likely change the flavor of the syrup.
- Cocoa powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Vanilla extract: You can use store bought or homemade vanilla extract.
- Almond extract: Almond extract adds additional depth of flavor to this syrup.
How to make Irish Cream Syrup
Just like with any simple syrup recipe, you'll start out by bringing water and sugar to a simmer on the stove top. Once the sugar has fully dissolved into the water, you'll need to turn the heat off.
Next, add the cocoa powder and vanilla and almond extracts to the syrup. Give everything a good whisk, making sure that everything gets fully incorporated into the syrup. Cocoa powder can be a bit tricky to incorporate fully, but keep at it.
After that, just let the syrup cool completely before pouring it into an airtight container and stashing it in the refrigerator.
Other syrup recipes
- Strawberry Simple Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Rosé Wine Simple Syrup from Jaylynn Little
- Demerara Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Rosemary Simple Syrup from Feast and West
- Blueberry Simple Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
- Peach Syrup from A Nerd Cooks
How to use Irish Cream Syrup
You can use Irish Cream Syrup in pretty much any way that you'd like. But I recommend using it in tea, over ice cream, or in coffee.
In particular, this Irish Cream Cold Brew (a Starbucks knockoff recipe) is the perfect way to use Irish Cream Syrup!
FAQs/Tips and tricks
Nope! This is a non-alcoholic simple syrup recipe.
Yes, it will eventually go bad. It should last approximately a week or two in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
It should last approximately a week or two if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can prolong its shelf life a bit by adding about half an ounce of vodka to the syrup.
Yes, it needs to be refrigerated. Make sure to store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Yep! It's a copycat recipe, so it should taste like the syrup that you get in your drinks at Starbucks.
Yes! This syrup is perfect for making an Irish Cream Cold Brew (just like at Starbucks).
Share your creations and follow me on social media!
Subscribe to the A Nerd Cooks Newsletter to have updates sent straight to your inbox.
I love seeing when you share my recipes! Please tag me on Instagram @anerdcooks so I can enjoy them virtually with you! You can also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and
⭐️ star rating below!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Combine the water and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk occasionally.
- Bring the water and sugar to a simmer. Ensure that the sugar has completely dissolved into the water. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and both extracts to the syrup. Whisk until everything is completely combined.
- Allow the syrup to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g