Last Updated on November 30, 2021 by laurenpacek
Dark chocolate cake, marshmallow buttercream, and crumbled graham crackers come together in these sweet S'mores Cupcakes.
I'd like to wish a very happy 5th birthday to my little blog! A Nerd Cooks is 5 years old. Five years!
So many good things have happened in the past year: We moved to Durham, I started a fellowship that I love, Sean is very happy at his job, fun visits with family and friends, exploration of the Triangle area, many delicious food- and drink-related adventures... And on and on...
Last year I made and shared this Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Dark Chocolate Ganache to celebrate my blog's birthday.
This year, it's these S'mores Cupcakes. Please join me in celebrating my 5th blogiversary with these sweet and fun treats. The chocolate cake is just the best (my favorite chocolate cake recipe), and let's face it, marshmallow fluff = a gift from above.
Like so many of the things I post on this blog, both the cake and frosting are modified versions of those found in Joy the Baker’s cookbook, Homemade Decadence.
For the cupcakes
- 3 cups cake flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk
For the marshmallow buttercream
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 14 oz marshmallow fluff
- crumbled graham crackers, for sprinkling on top
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add the vanilla extract.
- Alternate between adding some of the dry ingredients with the buttermilk. After the last addition, mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides, making sure to get the bottom, too. Mix for another minute.
- Fill the liners ½ of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife/toothpick, when inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5-10 minutes in the muffin tin, then remove and place them on a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
To make the buttercream
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the marshmallow buttercream frosting.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until it is smooth.
- Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and beat on low until well combined.
- Add another 2 cups of powdered sugar along with 1 tbs of milk. Beat until combined.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and beat until combined. Depending on the desired consistency, add the remaining 1-2 cups of sugar and remaining milk and beat until the frosting reaches the desired thickness.
- Beat on medium speed until the frosting is smooth and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Slather/pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and top with graham cracker crumbles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 0gSugar: 71gProtein: 2g