It's pumpkin season, y'all! Don't fight it.
This Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese (with thyme!) is cheesy and pleasantly pumpkin-y. Earthy thyme complements the slightly sweet pumpkin. It's exactly what you need to feel festive and celebrate the season.
This pumpkin macaroni and cheese is a modern day classic
This recipe is an oldie, but a goodie. I first blogged about it way back in 2013. But the photos were... not the best. And given how much I love this recipe, and just how delicious it is, I felt that it deserved a facelift.
I updated the recipe a bit, increasing the amount of milk and cheese that it calls for. And really, how could more cheese be a bad thing?
The result is a very creamy, pleasantly pumpkin-y macaroni and cheese.
Delicious enough for company, easy enough for a weeknight
I'd be perfectly content to make this pumpkin macaroni and cheese for friends and family. Pair it with a green salad, and you're in business. It's delicious, plus the pumpkin and thyme make it feel special.
Even though it looks fancier than your average mac 'n' cheese, it comes together really quickly since it's made on the stovetop. There's no baking required. If you boil the pasta while you start the sauce, you can have dinner on the table in about half an hour!
Looking for other savory pumpkin recipes?
Pumpkin Thyme Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 ¾ cups milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree see notes
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves plus more for garnish
- 12 oz shredded cheese see notes
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk, forming a roux.
- While whisking continuously, slowly add the milk.
- Add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, and thyme. Whisk to combine.
- Allow this pumpkin-y sauce to cook for a few minutes, whisking occasionally. It will thicken slightly.
- To the sauce, add the cheese, whisking to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce, and eat!
- You want to use pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling
- I used half aged gouda and half gruyere
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.