Instant Pot Oatmeal is healthy, delicious, and endlessly customizable. Even better: it takes hardly any time at all to make AND it's almost entirely hands-off.
The Instant Pot cuts breakfast meal prep time down soo much!
When making oatmeal for the week, my go-to recipe has been this one for Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats. The only downside to it is that it takes several hours to cook. When pressed for time one Sunday, I decided to try making oatmeal in the pressure cooker.
Just like the slow cooker method, this method is almost entirely hands-off. The resulting oatmeal is tender (but still has a nice texture) and is basically a blank slate. You can flavor your oatmeal and add whatever nuts and fruit you'd like. But without a doubt, the biggest benefit of using the pressure cooker is that everything cooks very quickly.
What ingredients go into this oatmeal?
- Steel cut oats: Steel cut oats are chewier than old fashioned oats, and have a fantastic texture.
- Water: Just regular old H2O.
- Salt: A pinch of kosher salt goes a long way here.
- Toppings! Here's where personal preference comes into play in a big way. I like to top my steel cut oats with some kind of dairy (milk/mylk or half and half or something) and add some kind of sweetener. Feel free to use whatever floats your boat. And then the sky is the limit, really. Add some nuts, fruit, chocolate chips, peanut butter, whatever!
The proportion of oats:water was taken from The Kitchn; the method is based on my trial and error.
Instant Pot Oatmeal
For the steel cut oatmeal
- 1 ¼ cups steel cut oats
- 3 ¼ cups water
- pinch kosher salt
For the toppings (optional)
- milk of choice
- sweetener of choice
- Spray the insert of your electric pressure cooker with cooking spray.
- Add the steel cut oats, water, and salt to the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes on high pressure. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Top your oatmeal with whatever toppings you desire.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.
Looking for other Instant Pot recipes?
Have more time on your hands to prep for breakfast? Consider this Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal, instead!
Looking for other recipes to make in your Instant Pot? I gotchu.
- This Pressure Cooker Chicken Ropa Vieja is tasty and versatile
- Pressure Cooker Carnitas are a favorite in my house!
- This Pressure Cooker Green Chicken Chili will help warm you up now that the temperatures are falling