These Chocolate Peppermint Cake Donuts are dense, cakey, and the perfect balance of chocolate and mint. Chocolate and peppermint is a quintessential holiday flavor combination.
Chocolate and peppermint is one of my favorite flavor combinations, holiday or otherwise. I will happily go to town on some York Peppermint Patties or Junior Mints any day of the week. Peppermint mocha? Done. These donuts are a fun, minty way to celebrate the season.
Chocolate Peppermint Cake Donuts
For the donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting (makes more than needed)
- 16 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- candy canes crushed
To make the donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a donut pan or two and set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the donut pan molds ~¾ of the way full. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick, when inserted into a donut, comes out clean.
- Allow the donuts to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
To make the frosting
- Beat the softened butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add 1 tbs of milk and the peppermint extract. Add more powdered sugar, beating on low, until you have achieved the desired consistency. If you need to thin things out, add a little more milk. Once you've reached the desired consistency, beat on medium for a few minutes to fluff up the frosting.
- Frost the donuts and top them with crushed candy canes.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.