Last Updated on November 30, 2021 by laurenpacek
Chocolate Cake Mix Donuts are sweet and delicious!
These Chocolate Cake Mix Donuts are light and cake-y, doused with a sweet powdered sugar glaze, and topped with chopped Oreos and chocolate sprinkles.
So... how do you spell it, anyway?
Donut... doughnut... How do you spell it? I'm partial to "donut" without any real justification for that preference. The spell check on this computer is flagging "donut" but not "doughnut" as not being a word but... I'm gonna stick to my guns.
Donut it is!!
Looking for other donut recipes?
These particular donuts are especially easy to make, since they start out as a boxed cake mix! I tend to be a little snobby about making everything from scratch, so I had shied away from recipes that use boxed mixes. But, really, there's no need for pretentiousness when a shortcut like this can get donuts into your face hole more quickly. Come with me; Let us all embrace the boxed cake mix donut!
This recipe comes from Kleinworth & Co.
For the donuts
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the toppings
- chopped Oreo cookies
- chocolate sprinkles
To make the donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a donut pan or two with cooking spray and set them aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cake mix, egg, vegetable oil, and water. Mix until combined.
- Using a piping bag, or spoon, fill the donut pan(s) up about ½-3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the donuts are done all the way through. Allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
To make the glaze
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar a bit of the milk, and the vanilla extract. (see notes)
- Spoon the glaze liberally over the tops of the donuts. Add as many chopped Oreos and sprinkles as your heart desires.
Notes: Find that your glaze is too thin? Add some more powdered sugar. Too thick? More milk. Keep going until you hit on a consistency that you're happy with.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 40mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g
What gear should you have on hand to make these donuts?
- I have a couple of these donut pans from Wilton. 10/10
- Oreos! Double Stuff, please.
- Boxed chocolate cake mix (use whatever you prefer)