These cheesy baked grits are a great breakfast or brunch dish. They can feed a crowd and can even be made ahead of time. Just do everything up until the point of baking, let the grits cool a bit, and stash them in the fridge until morning.
- 8 strips bacon
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups grits
- 8 oz gouda, plus a little more for the top, shredded
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, plus a little more for the top, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs fresh chives, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil in a sauce pan.
- While whisking continuously, add the grits to the sauce pan. Whisk until the grits are completely combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits have thickened.
- Add the shredded gouda and cheddar, along with the milk, and stir. Gradually stir in the beaten eggs and butter until combined.
- Add the chopped bacon and minced chives and mix until they are evenly distributed throughout.
- Pour the grits into the prepared casserole dish, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the grits are set.
- Allow the grits to cool for 15 minutes or so (or longer) to allow them to firm up a bit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 1092mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g