Last Updated on July 17, 2021 by laurenpacek
This Lemongrass and Thai Basil Mojito is sweet, fizzy, and just a little bit exotic.
I recently received a couple of bunches of Thai basil, but initially wasn't quite sure what to do with it. You can thank the good folks of Reddit for this cocktail recipe. I posted in the cocktails subreddit asking for help, and this is what was suggested!
To start, you'll want to make the lemongrass simple syrup. This is something you'll want to do ahead of time, either earlier in the day or the day before you want to make cocktails. We've done simple syrup before. It's, well, simple.
This recipe is slightly modified from the one from The Kitchn.
For the lemongrass simple syrup (makes 1 cup)
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
For the cocktail
- 1 thin slice of lime
- 4 leaves fresh Thai basil
- 2 oz white rum
- 2 oz lemongrass simple syrup
- Coconut LaCroix or club soda
To make the lemongrass simple syrup
- Start by cutting your stalks of lemongrass into 1-inch sections. Bruise them with a meat mallet/rolling pin/mortar and pestle. Set them aside for a moment.
- Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar is entirely dissolved. Allow it to come to a boil, then turn off the heat. Add the lemongrass and allow it to steep for 2 hours.
- Strain the syrup, pressing down on the lemongrass to extract all of the flavor. This simple syrup will keep in the fridge for about 4 weeks.
To make the cocktail
- Add the slice of lime and basil leaves to the bottom of a glass. Muddle them together.
- Add the rum, simple syrup, and ice. Top off with some Coconut Lacroix or club soda.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 279mgCarbohydrates: 473gFiber: 10gSugar: 382gProtein: 8g
Need more fizzy summer cocktails in your life? I strongly suggest you try a Coconut Mojito. You'll thank me later. Still need more fizzy La Croix-based drinks? The Grapefruit Crush and Orange Creamsicle Crush are delightful, as is a Blackberry Lime Vodka Fizz.