These Churro Waffles are tender, sweet, and slightly crunchy on the outside!
You know churros: the fried dough pastry that's often coated in cinnamon and sugar. The cinnamon sugar coating gives a slight crunch to these tender, cinnamon-y waffles.
I drizzled these waffles with just a bit of maple syrup. They'd be great with a chocolate sauce, too. I love how that bit of syrup looks, pooling on the napkin.
For the waffles
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites beaten until stiff
For the churro topping
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
To make the waffles
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Add the milk, egg yolks, vegetable oil, and vanilla to a large measuring cup. Whisk to combine.Pour the liquid into the flour mixture. Whisk until just combined.
- Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into your waffle maker and cook according to the manufacturer's directions until they reach the desired color.
To make the churro topping
- While the waffles are cooking, mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Immediately after removing the waffles from the waffle maker, brush one side with melted butter. Sprinkle the buttered side liberally with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.