Question: What’s better than waffles?
Well, not much is better than waffles, but humor me.
Answer: CHURRO WAFFLES!
You know churros: the fried dough pastry that’s often coated in cinnamon and sugar.
I drizzled these waffles with just a bit of maple syrup. They’d be great with a chocolate sauce, too. I love how that bit of syrup looks, pooling on the napkin.
These churro waffles are a jazzed up version of my Classic Waffle recipe.
You’ll need (makes 4 large waffles):
For the waffles –
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
For the churro topping (you likely won’t use all of this up) –
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together. Set aside.
Add the milk, egg yolks, vegetable oil, and vanilla to a large measuring cup. Whisk to combine. Pour the liquid into the flour mixture. Whisk until just combined. The batter will be lumpy.
Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter. The batter will still be lumpy. This is still okay.
Pour batter into your waffle maker and cook until they reach the desired color.
While the waffles are cooking, mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
Immediately after removing the waffles from the waffle maker, brush one side with melted butter. Sprinkle the buttered side liberally with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
As I mentioned before, this post is part of Waffle Week 2015!
A group of really talented bloggers, rallied by the lovely Kim from Feed Me, Seymour, have come together to share a bunch of delicious waffle recipes with you all.
Do yourselves a favor and check out everyone else’s amazing recipes!
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Melted Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Sweet Potato Waffles with Horseradish Sauce by Our Good Life
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Neapolitan Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos