This Chicken Curry is not to be missed
Though not super authentic, this chicken curry recipe is delicious. Make it with plain Greek yogurt or half and half if you want to cut a few calories. Or go with heavy cream if you’re looking for something more decadent.
Indian takeout is a favorite in my house
Fortunately, Sean shares my love of Indian takeout. While I love chicken tikka masala, he always opts for chicken curry. He’s been asking me to try to recreate it at home for some time now, and I finally succumbed.
While this recipe isn’t identical to the one that we would get from our local Indian restaurant back in Baltimore, it’s still pretty delicious. On top of that, it’s super simple to make.
Fair warning: it’s not exactly friendly to the waistline. Sorry, guys. HOWEVER you can cut down on the calories by subbing either plain Greek yogurt or half and half for the heavy cream.
What inspired this dish?
This recipe is adapted from one I found on the blog I Will Not Eat Oysters. It’s one of my new favorite blogs; her recipes are delicious and the photos are beautiful.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tbs yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half and half OR 16 oz plain Greek yogurt
- rice and naan, for serving
- In a large bowl or zip top bag, toss the chicken around in the curry powder, salt, pepper, and cinnamon until completely coated.
- Put the vegetable oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until all sides are browned.
- Add the heavy cream or yogurt and stir. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet partially, and simmer for 15 minutes or so. The chicken will finish cooking through and the sauce will thicken.
- Serve the chicken and sauce with rice and naan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 564mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 37g
Pin this recipe for later!