Last Updated on April 4, 2021 by laurenpacek
These Sweet Potato Pecan Muffins are sweet, flavored with Fall spices, and incredibly moist thanks to the addition of roasted sweet potatoes.
Up until today, it has still been HOT in North Carolina. Despite what the thermometer says, it's Fall in my heart (and according to the calendar).
Pumpkin gets a lot of attention this time of year. I'm as guilty as the next guy of this, too. I love pumpkin. I'm a certified basic bitch, okay?
BUT there are other seasonal vegetables that deserve our attention. Take the humble sweet potato, for instance. They're naturally sweet and delicious, a vibrant orange color, and perfect in baked goods.
These muffins are super moist, just like a pumpkin quick bread, and the honeyed pecans add a nice bit of crunch. They're perfect for breakfast or a snack.
These muffins will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup apple sauce or vegetable oil
- 2 cups sweet potato (about 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes), roasted and mashed
- ¾ cup pecans, roughly chopped, plus more for topping the muffins
- honey, for drizzling onto muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves together. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, combine the sugars, eggs, oil, and mashed sweet potato until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the pecan pieces.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups (they will be very full). Top with a few more pecan pieces. Drizzle the top of each muffin with a little honey. The honey helps the pecans on top to get candied a bit while baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
In search of additional sweet potato goodness? Check out these Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies! Or maybe you're on the hunt for more breakfast treats? Try these Sweet Potato Waffles with Candied Pecans on for size.