Last Updated on May 10, 2021 by laurenpacek
Summer's almost over, but that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy a sweet Strawberry Crumb Bar!
So, yes. It's been a while. I'll save you the excuses. Let's just cut straight to the food!
It's not too late for strawberries, is it? I hope not, because these bars are tasty. The crumb is buttery and lightly sweet. Cinnamon plays surprisingly well with strawberries (check out this Strawberry Crisp for another excellent example). The filling is sweet, but not too sweet thanks to lemon zest and juice.
For the crumb
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks butter,, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
For the filling
- ½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ tbs lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh strawberries,, hulled and sliced
- 13 oz. strawberry preserves
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Butter the sides and parchment, or spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
To make the crumb
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Pulse a couple of times until everything is combined. Add the butter and egg to the flour mixture. Pulse until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Taking half of the crumb mixture, pat it into the bottom of your prepared pan. It will be on the thin side.
To make the filling
- Rinse the food processor. In the same bowl, add the filling ingredients and pulse briefly. Do this until the berries are coarsely chopped but not puréed. Spread this mixture evenly over the crumb base.
To assemble the bars
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture evenly over top of the strawberry layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the crumbs on top are lightly browned. Allow it to cool completely before cutting it into squares.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g