Last Updated on November 30, 2021 by laurenpacek
Green bean casserole is a holiday favorite
This Skinny Green Bean Casserole it is a lightened up version of the traditional green bean casserole that often gets served at Thanksgiving and Christmastime.
Don't let the "skinny" name fool you, this dish is delicious!
Despite it being "skinny", this recipe tastes so much better than the original. It's so worth it to spend a little extra time and make everything from scratch. This dish can also be made vegetarian if you opt for vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Looking for other holiday dishes?
What inspired this recipe?
This recipe originally comes from the blog Skinnytaste.
For the bread crumb topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, finely diced
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp dried thyme
For the Green Beans and Sauce
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, washed, trimmed, and halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup shallots, finely diced
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
To make the topping
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until they are softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the bread crumbs, cheese, and thyme. Sauté for 5-6 additional minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
To prepare the green beans
- Boil a large pot of water. Add the green beans and blanche for 2-4 minutes. Drain them into a colander and set aside.
To make the sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining ⅓ cup of shallots and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the mushrooms, stirring to coat them with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stirring to coat. Continue stirring for about a minute. Slowly add the broth and milk. Bring it to a low boil, and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until it starts to thicken up, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rest of the grated cheese.
To assemble the dish
- Add the blanched green beans and mix well. Taste, and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Pour everything into the prepared baking dish.
- Top the beans and sauce with the toasted bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g