This Loaded Christmas Ale cocktail tastes like pure Christmastime in a glass. But watch out! It's plenty potent. This will be your new go-to holiday drink.
Table of contents
What is Loaded Christmas Ale?
Loaded Christmas Ale is a cocktail made up of vanilla vodka, coffee liqueur, and seasonal Christmas Ale beer. We'll talk through each of the ingredients in just a bit.
I'm not sure how to describe this drink other than to say that it tastes like Christmas in a glass.
What does Christmas Ale taste like?
Though the flavors may vary a bit, depending on which brewery you get your beer from, Christmas Ale generally has lots of honey, ginger, and cinnamon flavors.
Even though it's pretty dark in color, it isn't super heavy (like a stout or porter would be).
This cocktail only requires four ingredients, and one of those is a garnish.
- Vanilla vodka: I tend to reach for Smirnoff or Pinnacle vanilla flavored vodka. You don't need to go all out and use anything that's too top shelf.
- Coffee liqueur: Kahlúa is probably the best known brand of coffee liqueur, but reach for whatever you prefer.
- Christmas Ale: This recipe calls for one 12 ounce bottle of Christmas Ale. I used Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale, but have also used Great Lakes Brewing Co. Christmas Ale. Pick your favorite.
- Cinnamon: A dusting of cinnamon on top of the head of the beer really drives home the Christmasy feel of this drink. And yes, I forgot to include the cinnamon in the picture. My bad.
How to make a Loaded Christmas Ale
You'll start out by pouring your vanilla vodka and coffee liqueur into the bottom of a pint glass.
Next, pour the whole beer into the glass.
Finish it all off by dusting some cinnamon onto the foamy head of the beer.
Et voila: you have a Loaded Christmas Ale.
- A pint glass
- A cocktail jigger, for measuring your hooch
- A dusting wand, to make sure that your cinnamon dust is perfect
Other holiday drinks
Looking for other seasonal holiday drinks? You know I gotchu. Check out the links below. Some are from my blog, some are from other fab bloggers.
- Poinsettia Cocktails from A Nerd Cooks
- Eggnog Martini from The Short Order Cook
- Cranberry G&T from A Nerd Cooks
- White Christmas Margarita from The Healthful Ideas
- Pomegranate Margaritas from A Nerd Cooks
- Winter Aperol Spritz from Barley and Sage
FAQs/Tips and tricks
A Christmas Ale is an ale that is brewed for the winter holiday months. It's typically amber or darker in color. Though the flavors may vary a bit, depending on which brewery you get your beer from, Christmas Ale generally has lots of honey, ginger, and cinnamon flavors.
You could, but I recommend making them individually.
Use whatever you prefer or whatever you can get your hands on. A number of breweries make a Christmas ale, including (but definitely not limited to): Great Lakes, Thirsty Dog, and Bell's.
Since this is a seasonal beer, Christmas Ale usually starts showing up on shelves in November, though sometimes you'll get lucky and see it in late October. November is a safer bet.
Share your creations and follow me on social media!
Subscribe to the A Nerd Cooks Newsletter to have updates sent straight to your inbox.
I love seeing when you share my recipes! Please tag me on Instagram @anerdcooks so I can enjoy them virtually with you! You can also find me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
I'd love to know what you thought of this recipe! Don't forget to leave a comment and ⭐️ star rating below!
Loaded Christmas Ale
- 1.5 ounces vanilla vodka
- 1.5 ounces Kahlúa Liqueur
- 12 ounces Christmas Ale see notes
- ground cinnamon for dusting on top
- Pour the vodka and Kahlúa into a pint glass.
- Top with cold Christmas Ale.
- Dust the head of the beer with a bit of ground cinnamon.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is a generated estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This is totally going on my to make list!