Last Updated on December 2, 2021 by laurenpacek
This Hummingbird Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting is a delicious mashup of a Hummingbird Cake (a Southern classic) and banana bread.
After making Carrot Cake Cupcakes recently, and realizing that I had an overabundance of overly ripe bananas (as usual), I got to thinking about other dessert recipes that used lots of fruit and or vegetables.
After some searching, I landed on Hummingbird Banana bread. This recipe is full of crushed pineapple, shredded coconut, chopped pecans, and bananas. The pineapple and bananas keep it really moist, while the coconut and pecans keep things interesting in terms of texture. It's all slathered with some sweet, but not too sweet, cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with more chopped pecans.
This recipe comes from A Latte Food.
For the bread
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 ½ cups bananas (about 3-4 medium-sized), mashed
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
To make the bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9x4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray or butter. Set them aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract. Next, add the egg, one at a time. Beat until combined.
- Add the pineapple, shredded coconut, and mashed bananas to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until they are just combined.
- Add the pecans and stir until they are just distributed throughout.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake the bread for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick, when inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Allow the loaves to cool in their pans for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pans to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
To make the cream cheese frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until they are well combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until well combined.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled loaves. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- The listed preparation time does not include the time required to let the banana bread cool.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Want more banana bread-y recipes? Take a look at my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies!