Last Updated on May 18, 2021 by laurenpacek
This Mexican Chicken Soup is flavorful and a little bit spicy. The addition of tomatoes and jalapeños put a fun twist on traditional chicken soup.
I've been making this soup regularly for the past 5 years. It is definitely a favorite of ours, for so many reasons. The broth is flavorful and zesty, it's packed full of vegetables, and depending on how you dress it up, it's pretty healthy, too! This soup is great immediately after making it, as leftovers later in the week, and it freezes beautifully.
You can certainly eat this soup plain, and it would still be great. But let me highly recommend that you add some shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips. But not just any tortilla chip: whole grain tortilla chips. Do this, and you will not regret it. Trust.
This is a modified version of one of Ina Garten's soups.
- 2 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips, for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed pot and heat over over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, jalapeños, frozen corn, cumin, salt, pepper, and cooked chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 2220mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 13gProtein: 21g