Last Updated on November 30, 2021 by laurenpacek
This butternut squash and kale soup with creamy white beans is healthy, delicious, and filling. This recipe is vegetarian, and can easily be made vegan by omitting the cheese!
It's cold and rainy today in Durham. And by "cold" I mean "in the 50s." Because evidently living here for a year has drastically altered my perception of the temperature outside.
At any rate, it's the perfect day for soup. Soup + snuggling up on the couch with your favorite furry friend.
Kale and butternut squash are so, so good together. I've made this soup many times before. In addition to being very good, it's pretty healthy, too. So don't feel bad about going back for a second bowl.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp fresh rosemary,, minced
- 8 -10 oz. kale, de-stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 oz. can cannellini or great northern beans, drained
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, garlic, and rosemary until the onions are translucent.
- Add the kale and cook until it begins to wilt. Add the cubed squash and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup up to a simmer and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Once the squash is tender, use a spoon to smash some of the squash against the side of the pot to help thicken the soup. Add the can of beans and simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Ladle into bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 829mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 16gSugar: 8gProtein: 18g