This Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper soup has all of the flavors of (you guessed it) a stuffed pepper. Because it cooks in the slow cooker, this soup is super easy to make. It also manages to be hearty and filling without weighing you down too much.
I recently went back to PA to go deer hunting with my dad. My mom was kind enough to have a slow cooker full of a version of this soup waiting for us when we got back to the house. It was exactly what we needed after sitting outside in the cold for most of the day.
After returning home, I couldn’t wait to put my spin on this Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup. I opted to make it with half Italian sausage-half ground beef and to add Italian seasoning to amp up the flavor a bit.
I’m a pretty firm believer that soup is a perfect food and should be eaten year round. However, we’re coming off of a snowstorm here in Durham, so the timing for making this really couldn’t have been better.
Need other warming soupy recipes? Check out my Italian Wedding Soup and Chicken Tikka Masala Soup. Maybe chili is more your thing? Try Pressure Cooker Green Chicken Chili, Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili, and Slow Cooker Turkey Chili.
I also want to be sure to mention that the bowl in this photo was made by Matt Hallyburton of Hallyburton Pottery. Do yourself a favor and go check out (and buy!) his beautiful work.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 4 bell peppers, chopped (see notes)
- 28 oz diced tomatoes, not drained
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 32 oz beef broth
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground beef and sausage to the skillet. Cook until browned, crumbling as it cooks. Add the onions, garlic, ground beef, and sausage to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the bell peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to when you'd like to eat, add the white rice to the slow cooker.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with shredded parmesan cheese.
Notes: I like to cut the bell peppers into big chunks so that they don't disintegrate into the soup while they cook. Use whatever color bell peppers that you'd like.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g