Last Updated on May 12, 2021 by laurenpacek
These cocktails are unique and delicious!
This Bourbon Pumpkin Shrub Cocktail is pretty much Fall in a glass. Always fabulous bourbon, a tart pumpkin shrub, and fizzy ginger beer were meant to be together.
Products were provided to me free of charge by Drizly. As always, all opinions are my own.
You know Drizly
We talked about Drizly in this post about Caramel Apple Moscow Mules. Drizly is a company that makes buying booze super easy. Just head to their website, order online, and they'll deliver it to you in about an hour!
In case you missed those mules, do yourself a favor and go check them out. I'll wait.
Back to this cocktail...
Alright now that you're back, let's talk about this Bourbon Pumpkin Shrub.
A shrub is basically fruit, sugar, and vinegar. Way back when, shrubs were used to preserve fruit after the harvest was over. In this case, our fruit of choice is pumpkin (puree), and rather than preservation of produce, we're using this shrub as a vessel for bourbon.
The shrub itself is sweet and sour, and full of pumpkin spice flavor. The ginger beer brings some effervescence and a little spice. If you're into sour flavors, like me, this cocktail is for you. It's not too sour, though, thanks to the maple syrup and bourbon.
The shrub recipe comes from Swooned Magazine. The rest of the cocktail comes from my foodbrain.
For the shrub
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
For the cocktail (makes 1)
- 1.5 oz bourbon
- 1.5 oz pumpkin shrub
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- ginger beer
To make the shrub
- Add all ingredients to a glass container (I used a mason jar), seal, and shake to combine.
- Put the jar into the fridge for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, shake to recombine and strain the solids through a sieve (it's okay if some of the puree makes its way through). The shrub will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
To make the cocktail
- Add bourbon, pumpkin shrub, and maple syrup to a rocks glass.
- Stir to combine.
- Add ice and top with ginger beer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1317Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 297gFiber: 16gSugar: 268gProtein: 5g