Last Updated on January 25, 2014 by laurenpacek
Since January isn’t quite over yet, it’s still okay to talk about resolutions for the new year, right? I’ve thought of a few (mostly blog/food-related) resolutions that I have for myself moving forward this year. This is by no means an exhaustive list, just stuff that I thought of right now. Here we go:
- Learn how to use piping bags/tips – I’ve been meaning to do this one for a while, but haven’t quite gotten around to it.
- Work with yeast – I’ll admit it, yeast scares me. But think of all the stuff I’m missing out on … pizza dough, bread, cinnamon rolls!
- Take more photos – In general, you’re never going to look back and say “Man, I wish I hadn’t taken all of those photos to help me remember the things that happened during my life.” I want to take more photos all the time, not just during “special” events.
- Take more GOOD food photos – A lot of this comes down to having/making the time. During the winter months, it’s tough to photograph much of anything since it gets dark so early, and on the weekends I’m often lazy. I will try to continue to improve my food photography skills and take more good photos with natural light.
- Cook with curry – I’m more than a little bit obsessed with Indian food, so why not?
- Bundt cake! – Honestly, need I say more? But really, I have a bundt pan that I’ve never used, and that needs to be rectified.
- Take better care of myself – Clichéd, I know.
This recipe knocks out two of these resolutions: taking more good food photos (At least I hope that’s what I’ve done here.) and taking better care of myself. This salad is delicious and good for you. In my humble opinion, kale and butternut squash make an amazing flavor and color combination. The dressing is just icing on the cake, so to speak. I based this salad on the recipe found here.
For the salad –
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- seasonings of choice
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches kale, de-stemmed and sliced into ribbons
- salt, to taste
For the dressing –
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or two with foil. Set aside. In a large zip top bag, add the cubed squash, olive oil and other spices. I like salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Shake well to thoroughly coat the squash. In a single layer, spread the squash out on the baking sheets. Bake for 25-30 minutes, taking time to toss everything around about halfway through.
While the squash bakes, in a small bowl, whisk all of the ingredients for the dressing together. Set aside.
Prepare the kale like this, minus the red wine vinegar. Allow it to cool a bit, then add to a bowl, pour the dressing in, and toss to coat the kale. Top with roasted squash, portion the salad out however you like, and go to town.
Do you have any new year’s resolutions?