Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone! Do you have any fun plans for the day? Whipping up any particularly tasty foods and beverages?
Let me level with you: Up until a few days ago, I really had no idea of the true significance of the Cinco de Mayo holiday. I had some vague notions of it being associated with Mexico’s independence day. All I really knew was that it provided me with an occasion where it was socially acceptable to drink margaritas and eat Mexican food in excess.
Now let me lay some knowledge on you. After consulting Wikipedia, I learned that Cinco de Mayo (the 5th of May, for those of you who don’t habla) is in fact not Mexico’s independence day. It is celebrated in the Mexican state of Puebla to commemorate the Mexican army’s unlikely victory over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It was originally celebrated in the United States to commemorate freedom and democracy during the early years of the Civil War. Now it is a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. And two-for-one margaritas and tequila shots.
I hope that this has been educational, since I sure as heck didn’t know what Cinco de Mayo was all about. Anyway, regardless of why you’re celebrating, you’ll need some delicious foods and drinks to go along with your partay. Check out some of the links below if you are in need of inspiration.
Recipes from A Nerd Cooks:
- Deconstructed Mexican Street Corn
- Strawberry Margaritas
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Fajita Skewers
- Grilled Margarita Chicken
- Margarita Cupcakes
- The Perfect Pomegranate Margarita
- Whole Fruit Margaritas
Recipes from other lovely blogs:
- Classic Guacamole – Feed Me, Seymour
- Individual 7-Layer Dip – She Knows
- Double Decker Taco Cupcakes – Lea and Jay
- Chili Lime Popcorn – With Style & Grace
- Avocado Margarita – Cookin’ Canuck
- Margarita Martini – One Martini at a Time
- Tangerine Margarita – Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Grapefruit Margarita – Bionic Bites
- Brown Butter Crepe Ice Cream Tacos – Half Baked Harvest
- Baked Margarita Donuts – Margaritas in the Rain
- Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes – Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
- Tres Leches Cake – The Baker Chick
- Mexican Pizza – A Splash of Vanilla
- Mexican Beer-Marinated Chicken – Feed Me, Seymour
- Enchiladas Mole – David the Tornado
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos – Pinch & Swirl
- Easy Mexican Rice – Eat. Drink. Love.
- Refried Beans – A Family Feast
- Mexican Green Rice – My Kitchen Experiments
- Mexican-Style Quinoa – Cooking Quinoa